Family Law And Estate Lawyers Serving You

What do I do if I get Served with Divorce papers?

On Behalf of | Jun 17, 2014 | Divorce, High Asset Divorce

Once you are served with Dissolution of Marriage papers, you have 20 days to file some type of Response to the Petition.  If you fail to file a Response you risk a default being taken against you.

Keep in mind that the Petition for Dissolution is nothing more than the start of your divorce case and that it only contains “allegations”.  In other words, just because the other party states something in the Petition doesn’t make it true.

Your Response to the Petition is your opportunity to admit or deny the allegations.  You do not need to go in to great detail as to why you admit or deny the allegations or make your own allegations.  Again, this is merely the start of your divorce case and your response is simply your appearance in the matter and allows you to have a say in the terms of your divorce.

If you have been served with divorce papers, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss the allegations and prepare a Response.  Contact the experienced attorneys at Trullinger & Wenk at 623-748-4890 to schedule an appointment.