Lincoln & Wenk, PLLC
View Blog Navigation

Acting as conservator may give you financial responsibilities

In the event of a person's incapacitation, he or she will likely need various types of assistance in his or her daily life. As a result, the court may appoint an individual to carry out those necessary duties in order to properly attend to the incapacitated party's affairs. In many cases, if an adult individual needs such assistance, the appointed agent gains the title of conservator.

Conservator or guardian?

Though guardian may seem like the more common term, a guardian and a conservator could essentially carry out the same duties. In some cases, the term applies to the same position, and in other instances, a guardian may only attend to a person's health-related personal matters while a conservator carries out financial-related duties for the incapacitated party. Further still, some states may utilize the term guardian when it comes to the care of a child while using the term conservator when discussing the care of an adult.

In Arizona, conservator means someone handling the financial affairs of a minor or incapacitated adult.

Conservator appointment

If you or another family member feels concerned about a loved one's ability to make decisions for him or herself, you may wish to take your concerns to the court. If your concerns prove valid, the court may appoint a conservator to make financial decisions on your loved one's behalf. The court also supervises and grants only certain powers to the conservator.

Conservator duties

As someone in charge of another person's finances, you have a number of different duties and responsibilities. You may need to ensure that bills get paid on time, assets are properly used, how to spend money in terms of care and make other similar decisions. Having charge over someone's finances can prove stressful and time consuming, and therefore, you may wish to ensure that you have the ability to properly carry out your duties before taking on such a role.

Alternative to conservatorship

In some cases, an individual may not need a conservator appointed. If your loved one carried out estate planning, he or she may have utilized a power of attorney document to appoint a financial agent. In such cases, the court would not appoint an individual, as your loved one had already chosen an agent, and power of attorney documents prove legally binding when properly filed. Therefore, you may wish to determine whether your loved one had appointed an agent.

If you hope to create a conservatorship for a family member, you may wish to find out more on the legal proceedings associated with such action. Speaking with an experienced Arizona attorney could help you in such an endeavor.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Lawyers
  • 2015 ARAG | Elite Service Provider
  • AV | Peer Review Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability | Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell from LexisNexis
  • American Association for Justice | Formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA)
  • Arizona Association of Family Law Attorneys - AZAFLA
  • Lincoln & Wenk, PLLC BBB Business Review
  • Association of Top 100 2019 | American Trial Lawyers
  • American Academy Of Trial Attorneys | AATA | Premier 100 | 2015
  • Family Law | Top 10 | Attorney And Practice Magazine's | 2018 | Attorney
  • Top Valley Lawyers 2017 | North Valley Magazine
  • American Institute of Family Law Attorneys | 10 Best 2017-2018
  • Veteran Owned Business - A Registered Vetrepreneur on Buyveteran.com - 2014
  • Avvo Top Attorney
  • Avvo Client's Choice
Email Us For A Response

Need legal help from an attorney?
Contact us now to schedule a consultation with our lawyers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Goodyear Office:
1616 North Litchfield Road
Suite 140
Goodyear, AZ 85395

Phone: 623-748-4890
Fax: 623-536-1984
Goodyear Law Office Map

Peoria Office:
14050 N. 83rd Avenue
Suite 290
Peoria, AZ 85381

Phone: 623-748-4890
Fax: 623-536-1984
Peoria Law Office Map

Phoenix - Desert Ridge Office:
20830 N. Tatum Blvd
Suite 210
Phoenix, AZ 85050

Phone: 623-748-4890
Fax: 623-536-1984
Phoenix Law Office Map