Lincoln & Wenk, PLLC
View Blog Navigation

How to handle interference with your parenting time

Is your ex-spouse interfering with your time with the kids? Sometimes an ex will be blatant about the whole thing. He or she may just willfully deny you the rights to your court-ordered visitation and parenting time for any real or perceived offense.

Other times, an ex will find subtle ways to deprive you of your time with your child. You'll be told that your child is sick, has a sleepover that he or she really wants to attend or whatever will get you to agree to a change in plans without a fight.

There are other ways that your child's other parent can interfere with your parenting time. They may include something as drastic as moving without notifying you in advance, hiding your child at a relative's house or simply refusing to open the door when you come.

It's also unacceptable, however, when your ex finds less aggressive ways to prevent you from engaging with your child in a reasonable fashion. That includes things like intercepting your mail to your child or not allowing your child to pick up the phone when you call. You may find yourself shut out of school activities, only to be informed of the school play or concert well after it's over.

In some cases, children get used as pawns in psychological warfare between the parents. The parent who is initiating the dispute may openly denigrate you to your child and even enlist the child's help to spy on your private life or encourage the child to refuse to see you.

How do you stop this kind of activity? Unfortunately, the only way that you can put a halt to a parent who plays these kind of manipulative games is by taking the issue to court.

The first thing that you need to do is document what is happening. A paper or electronic trail of your conversations with your ex over visitation can often be very illustrative of the problems. A journal also helps.

Once you've gathered your evidence, take it into court. You can ask the judge for a number of corrective actions, depending on your situation.

Good solutions include asking the court to order non-interference with communications, compliance with the terms of your current parenting agreement and fines for poor behavior at first. If your ex continues to interfere, however, you may have to ask for custody revisions that put you in control.

Source: FindLaw, "Parenting Time Interference," accessed Feb. 21, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Lawyers
  • 2015 ARAG | Elite Service Provider
  • AV | Peer Review Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability | Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell from LexisNexis
  • American Association for Justice | Formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA)
  • Arizona Association of Family Law Attorneys - AZAFLA
  • Lincoln & Wenk, PLLC BBB Business Review
  • Association of Top 100 2019 | American Trial Lawyers
  • American Academy Of Trial Attorneys | AATA | Premier 100 | 2015
  • Family Law | Top 10 | Attorney And Practice Magazine's | 2018 | Attorney
  • Top Valley Lawyers 2017 | North Valley Magazine
  • American Institute of Family Law Attorneys | 10 Best 2017-2018
  • Veteran Owned Business - A Registered Vetrepreneur on Buyveteran.com - 2014
  • Avvo Top Attorney
  • Avvo Client's Choice
Email Us For A Response

Need legal help from an attorney?
Contact us now to schedule a consultation with our lawyers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Goodyear Office:
1616 North Litchfield Road
Suite 140
Goodyear, AZ 85395

Phone: 623-748-4890
Fax: 623-536-1984
Goodyear Law Office Map

Peoria Office:
14050 N. 83rd Avenue
Suite 290
Peoria, AZ 85381

Phone: 623-748-4890
Fax: 623-536-1984
Peoria Law Office Map

Phoenix - Desert Ridge Office:
20830 N. Tatum Blvd
Suite 210
Phoenix, AZ 85050

Phone: 623-748-4890
Fax: 623-536-1984
Phoenix Law Office Map